Ideologies
Doctors, military, gangs, and servers, at first glance it
will look at though these different groups of people have next to nothing in
common and that is true. Except for the fact that each of these groups have
their own ideologies, which means that these groups all have their own
language, way of living, ways of thinking, and concepts in order to server
their purpose in society. This is at least my take on what ideology is and the
more I think about it the easier it is for me to think of how many ideologies
come to mind, they are all around us. They shape our world, if we did not have
ideologies we would all be too much alike and this cannot be the case for our
world.
This
is one fact that I actually agree with Marx on, the fact that we need different
class systems and diversity. We need ideology, if everyone thought that the
world was fine hundreds of years ago then nobody would have do anything to
change it. We would always be at a standstill life if it were not for other
people having different views on things and them convincing others that we need
change for whatever reason. I also believe that an ideology is always with you,
even if you have left it behind and moved onto different things in life, it
will never leave you.
Let us use the military for example, if you are employed
in the military for many years it becomes a part of you, the formal language,
the housekeeping, the early hours, everything. These foundations of yourself do
not just leave overnight, even if you leave the military they will always be a
part of you. They will always be something that you will have inside of you and
will be able to transform to at any given time. It is like riding your bike,
you can stop for as long as you want but as soon as you jump back on that bike
it will be like you never got off. I think an ideology is also something you
use to describe yourself; it is what makes you who you are, for better or for
worse.
Serving is one ideology that I know very well, I have
been doing it for about five years, full time and part time and it is now
something that I consider part of me. I have done it for so long that I use it
when I am describing myself to someone. And like everything in this world
people have their own judgments and opinions about waitresses and waiters but
from my stand point servers are nice people getting you food and people tend to
take advantage of this a great deal. The reason why I feel as though servers
have their own ideology is merely because of the basic facts. Servers have
their own way of speaking. By saying this I do not mean that servers have their
own form of Morris code or anything. No it is far from that, probably the only
thing that they will ever say when they talk that you will not understand is
when they talk about table numbers. What I mean is that once a server is near a
customer they change a slight amount, sometimes their voice, sometimes their
actions, and most always by using a different vocabulary.
Just
like any jobs that deals with people, some are not cut out for it. Some people
cannot put on their happy face mask and leave their other emotions at the side
lines. Therefore, if the customers see that we are in a bad mood or that we are
sad by reading it on our face or hearing it in our voice their whole experience
could be ruined, this could happen even if everything else was great. This is
one thing that I believe is carried outside of a servers work, the fact that we
have to know how to put on the “serving mask”, as I like to call it. I have
found that it is a lot easier for me to fake my emotions because of serving and
I use this to my advantage for other aspects of life when I do not feel like
revealing my true emotions.
Ideologies
are what make our world balance in a strange way. They are surrounding us where
ever we go and we see them where ever we look, at times they can be bad the
people within an ideology refuse to see the point that someone else is making
in another social class, but for the most part they are good for our world.
Almost everyone can relate to an ideology or belongs to one and it helps to
form who they are in life, Karl Marx was definitely onto something in respects
to social class and the theory of ideology.
I enjoyed your analogy of "ideologies staying with people” and the “Military". Coming from a Military background I agree with many of your points.
ReplyDelete