Whiteness
The
color of one’s skin is sadly an indicator of their status and power within the
world, or at least this is what I have always been taught within my school
systems and in society. Although, in the last few years I have realized that
there is in fact an exception to every rule. It is not always true that the
color of your skin represents where you stand in this world, it is actually a combination
of the color of your skin and how you live/how society sees you and interrupts
yours actions and way of life. I have seen power in a new view since opening my
eyes a little wider since learning about the Irish and about a term that McIntosh
likes to call whiteness. I have also used this new knowledge and reflected it
on my own life and how I myself am impacted by whiteness.
To start let us look at what it means to be white. I
always thought that when someone called you white they were doing some because
of the color of your skin, now my views have changed. From my new understanding
being white means having a certain kind of social power, this is not just over
other white people but over everyone in the world. Being white is also the
social norm in today’s society and back hundreds of years ago; it means that
you have a privilege that not everybody else has. White people, especially
white men make up for the majority of power houses in the world, they get the
better jobs while everyone else works below them and most importantly the white
males are respected. But like I previously stated being white along does not
give you all of these powers, like everyone seems to think. No, to have white
power you also have to look and act a certain way, you have to be what society
expects you to be. You need to be clean, assertive, and smart, among many other
qualities that seem compelling. Now thinking about these qualities do they
sound like things that one would use to describe the stereotypical look of the Irish
back in the day?
I did not think so. Back when the Irish came to Nova
Scotia they were not welcomed like other immigrants were, this is especially
strange because of the fact that the Irish are white. But these Irish were not
the typical whites that were overflowing with power like the rest of the white.
No, these groups were grungy and animal like, they were timid and were lacking
in the hygienic area, they were nothing like the typical white. Therefore they
were not treated like the typical whites, they were not allowed to work at most
places, they were not respected, and most of all that were hardly considered
white. Looking back on pictures from these days the Irish hardly even looked
human, let alone white. They were thought of as a disgrace to the white
population, belittled by women and measured on the same scale as African
Americans.
Now even though the Irish are not thought of the same way
today there is still this notion of whiteness and there is still racism against
those who do not conform to this white ideal. In my own personal life I feel
like I get judged and discriminated against every day that I go to work. While
in school I work as a server and because of the job that I have, which is a
legal and honest job I still feel judged and belittled by some people. Certain
people like to think that you are there to serve them and play the role of
their servant for the time that they are in there. Even though this is slightly
along the lines of our job description people sometimes take it to the extreme
and do not even acknowledge you as a human, they believe that you are lower
than them, I’m sure this also goes the same for other jobs that entitle
cleaning up after someone or being “the help”.
I have begun to realize with the help of reading the
article the whiteness and as being a server that being white is not just about
the color of your skin, it is also about how you are looked at by society and
where they place you on the social status ladder. Being white can be no
different than being black or any other color, what really makes you “white” is
how the world perceives you and how you hold your place in this world. Being
white is no longer about what color your skin is, it is now a term used to
describe the social norms of power in society.
While I may question a contemporary view of whiteness being more than just skin colour, I would agree with your example of intersectionality, the idea that various form of oppression or exclusion (race/gender/class/ability etc. work in concert. As a server you will be subject to potention class/occupation discrimination, just as a white male lawyer would encounter oppression much differently than his African-American counterpart, and different still if either were female.
ReplyDelete